When it comes to eye health, wearing sunglasses that provide broad-spectrum UV protection are so important, especially in the bright Texas sun! At Today's Vision Bulverde, our optometrist, Dr. Haley Swift, regularly helps people find the right pair of sunglasses to meet their needs and help them protect their eyesight while spending time outside.
Why Sunglasses Matter
Ultraviolet radiation from the sun can deeply penetrate the eyes and damage the delicate tissues inside. Overtime, this can increase your risk for certain vision problems like macular degeneration and cataracts. The harmful effects of UV radiation are enhanced if you spend time on the water, sand, or snow, since the light can bounce off these reflective surfaces.
Tips for Choosing the Right Sunglasses for You
At Today's Vision Bulverde, we offer a wide range of sunglasses to try on—no matter what your lifestyle, budget, prescription, or personal taste is.
Not confident about choosing your sunglasses? Our San Antonio optometrist and optical team can help you find your best pair. The following tips should help, too:
- Try your sunglasses on before your eye exam. Many times, we use special eye drops to dilate your eyes during an eye exam. This way, we can see and assess the inner parts of your eyes appropriately. While painless and safe, eye dilation can take a few hours to wear off, leaving you with some blurry vision. So you can see how you look in sunglasses, we suggest coming early to your appointment so you can try on different sunglasses before you come in to work with our optometrist, Dr. Swift.
- Come with a friend! They can offer you their opinion about what looks good on you.
- Take selfies! Instead of just looking in a mirror, take a selfie of yourself wearing your sunglasses. This gives you another helpful perspective on how you look in the frames.
- Consider your lifestyle. Are you an active person who loves outdoor sports? You'll want to choose sunglasses made with durable material, such as metal frames and scratch-resistant lenses.
- Consider your face shape. Many people find that certain frame shapes fit the shape of their face better. For instance, heart-shaped faces pair well with angular frames, like aviators and cat eye. Square faces often pair well with round frames. And oblong-shaped faces do well with rectangular and round frames.
Need Prescription Sunglasses?
Would you like to be fitted for a pair of prescription sunglasses? Contact Today's Vision Bulverde, serving the greater San Antonio TX area, at (210) 307-4749, to schedule an appointment.